Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Our New President

Obama is president-elect and gas is under $2.00 a gallon for the first time in a few years. Maybe things aren't as bad as we worried they were.

Okay...there still bad, but it does feel like they could change.

They're saying you'll never forget where you were when you found out Obama won the election. I was in bed trying to get Maxine to fall asleep. Paul was brushing his teeth. "He won! He won!" Paul ran over with toothpaste still in his mouth. Maxine didn't seem to be swayed by the news, but then again she was busy blowing spit bubbles only moments earlier.

I hate to admit it, but I fell asleep during Obama's speech (I've got a newborn, so you can't really blame me) but I did see all of McCain's concession. He was sincere and thoughtful, making it easy to see why so many like him. You can't blame his supporters for booing when McCain said he'd called Obama to conceed, but it was great to hear them cheer at what Obama's win means for the progress we've made in terms of racial equality.


Although I'm thrilled about the Obama win, I'm really disappointed about Prop 8 in California, which will ban same sex marriage. And even worse than that was the ban on unmarried couples being able to foster and/or adopt children in Arkansas. The supporters are mincing no words about the target of this ban being gay and lesbian couples. Right - because God forbid a kid finds a nice, safe, loving home with a gay couple. The fact that so many people believe a child is better off in the system, rather than in a stable family environment with parents who happen to be gay, boggles my mind.

As corny and cliched as it sounds, I really do believe change is coming and I'm excited. I'm thrilled I got to vote for it and I can't wait to watch it unfold over the coming years.

No comments: