Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Black and White Cookie

For years I have wanted to try the black and white cookie featured on Seinfeld (and less famously on Sex and the City). I have seen "The Dinner Party" episode of Seinfeld more times than I care to admit and each time I get such a hankering to try it.

Today was my lucky day! We are in Florida visiting Paul's family and met up with Paul's brother, Tom, and cousin, Didi, who took us to a great hole in the wall Mexican restaurant called El Toro Bravo. Awesome food! They put cilantro on the chimichanga and all I can say is that food can get in my belly any time.

Afterwards as we were walking to our car the smell fresh baked bread and cookies wafted up to my nose like a tsunami of gourmet goodness. Didi said it was the best Italian bakery in town and being that I'd never been in any real Italian bakery, I stopped dead in my tracks. Inside Paisano's there were dozens of cookies and breads and if I weren't so full, I would have tried several. Instead I "looked to the cookie", as Jerry would say.

Let me start by saying the presentation alone is quite appealing. The contrast of the dark brown and white frosting was an instead taste bud teaser. However, I am sad to report that while it was good, it was not the best cookie I've ever had. In fact it fell quite short of the expectations I had built up in my head. But it was still very good. The inside is like a cookie equivalent to yellow cake. The frosting was sweet but not too rich, just like I like it.

So will I look to the cookie again? Probably not, but I'm sure I'll get crave it each time I see that famous episode of Seinfeld.


Picture coming soon...

3 comments:

Ang said...

I'm not a Seinfeld watcher... so I'm anxious to see the picture!

Mohit Goyal said...

You better bring me a few of those when you get back!

Chelena said...

Good thing you didn't get David Duke and Fahrikan in your stomach!