Monday, January 5, 2009

Post Holiday Blues

Well, it's official. The holidays are over. Technically they are 3, but I would count them more as six:

Thanksgiving, the day after, Christmas eve, Christmas day, the day after, and New Year's eve.

Paul has said to me more than a few times that it's going too fast, especially as we put our tree away this past weekend. I can't say I really felt it, but now, as I look at the date on my computer and see 1/5/2009, I realize, yes, it did go so fast.

At first it made me a little sad. I wish I had more time off. I wish I could spend more days with Maxine. I wish there was another excuse to eat cookies. I wish there was another dinner party to attend or another evening of everyone jamming into our kitchen for food and loud conversation. I wish I could be here more often to put Maxine down for her early afternoon and late afternoon naps.

Then I realized my "I wish" list could be endless if I let it be.

So instead I'm going to try to focus on the "I'm glad" list.

I'm glad I have a job, period. There are probably a lot of people out there who wish they did. I'm glad I had a nice, long vacation even though it's over. It was great while it lasted. I'm glad that while I can't be here to put Maxine down for all her naps, that she is in the loving arms of my mom and dad instead. I'm glad for my waistline that there are no more cookie excuses. I'm glad (and surprised) that I didn't actually gain any holiday weight.

So I'm done with post holiday blues. I'm hoping to be revved up for a new year and getting back to work, but one step at a time. It's only January 5th, right?

1 comment:

Ang said...

Way to be glad! It was easy for me to want to move on... December was a bad month, but I can certainly see where you are coming from!