Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Songs

NBC recently aired a special about the best Christmas moments ever on TV, which I only caught the last 15 minutes of, but enjoyed any way. They hooked me by playing a clip of Phoebe singing her Christmas song, of which my favorite line is "spin the dreidel, Rachel" because she couldn't find anything else to rhyme with Rachel. Love that Phoebe. If you haven't seen it or don't remember it, check it out here.

One of their top moments (#2, I believe) was Nate King Cole singing The Christmas Song, better known to many as Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire. They played the music video (is that what they were called back then?) of him and I have to say I was immediately awed by him. His smile is quite possibly the friendliest one I've ever seen and the way he was singing was so heartfelt and genuine. It got me thinking that it's probably why all those classic Christmas songs were and remain everyone's favorites. I'll take Nate King Cole over Destiny's Child signing any Christmas song, any time. I do like Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas is You. That song rocks.


But my all time favorite remains Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee. No other song puts me the Christmas mood like that one. Paul's favorite, by a landslide, is Feliz Navidad. Every Christmas while driving around, we crank up volume and pretend to sing along because the only words I think either of us knows is the feliz navidad part. Imagine it: Chinese guy, Indian girl in a Toyota in Minneapolis singing at the top of their lungs to a Spanish Christmas song. God bless the melting pot that is America!

2 comments:

Ang said...

Oh so much to comment on!
I caught a few minutes of the special too... looks like the same few minutes; I also love Phoebe!!

I LOVE Brenda Lee!! Have you ever heard 'I'm Gonna Lasso Santa Claus'? Thats the one that gets me going, ever since I was a little girl!

..and yes, God Bless America!

Lovi said...

I don't think I've heard that song, but I'm totally going to go find it. Thanks!